About the Author
'Tru Story' is a Registered Professional Nurse, for more than 20 years with specialties in Nurse Education, Mentorship, Cardiology, Oncology, Community Health, and Emergency Medicine. She is also Retired Veteran of the United States Air Force 21 years in the Medical Corps, serving in Campaigns that include: Desert Shield/Desert Storm, Operation Southern Watch, Operations Enduring/Iraqi Freedom. Retired MSgt.
My mother was and is still a poet and artist who introduced me to poetry and expressive writing as a child in elementary school. My bed time stories were of Nikki Giovanni, Sonia Sanchez, Marcus Garvey, Phylis Wheatley, Langston Hughes, Paul Lawrence Dunbar, Chavez, Gil Scott Heron, Khalil Gibran, The Last Poets, and many others. I was a classically trained musician in the earlier part of my life, and performed with different bands and ensembles. Coming from a family background of music it was in my blood. My aunt was a jazz singer who performed with many of the greats that include Dizzy Gillespie and Charlie 'Yard Bird' Parker. There was always a jam session going on. All of these influences started my creative writing experiences as a child and throughout my adulthood.
My poetry styles are versatile in which I enjoy bringing a positive message. I participate in open mics and poetry/spoken word events as often as I can.
- 'This Is My Pen Vol 1.' Poetry/Spoken Word CD debuted October 4th 2013. I am in the studio working on my second poetry compilation and published chapbook projects.
- Co-Administrator/Co-Founder of Family Poetry Collective (Philadelphia based poetry group)
- Co-Founder of 'The Collective' Open Mic Poetry & All Artist Open Mic Night Show
Local Community Service:
- Co-Founder of a Philadelphia based grass roots non-profit established to bring meals to the less fortunate of Philadelphia as well as responding to emergency food crisis in the Tri-State area.
- Recipient of Visiting Nurse Association Community Service Award Scholarship for community service during graduate studies at UMDNJ. Volunteer mobilization for numerous community service activities.
Highlights of My Community Service:
- Stroehman Bakeries Walk Against Hunger Philadelphia since 2010 fundraising and recruiting volunteers to Walk Against Hunger in Philadelphia and assist in providing food to area food banks.
- Explorers Sans Frontiers community health fairs 2012
- Medcation donations for clinics in Haiti 2013
- GirlTini Philabundance Food Drive 2013
- Back to School Supplies Campaign 2013
Global Community Service:
- Campaign to bring medical care to under served people in Haiti. Deployed with Heart to Heart January 2013 to work across the countryside to provide needed medical care in post earthquake areas to patients, children, and their families.
- Stop Hunger Now Meal Packaging Event for the Children of Haiti (in collaboration with GirlTini): May 2013. Hosted Meal packaging event alongside 80-100 volunteers to package 21,000+ meals to send to school aged children in Haiti to their schools and orphanages.